IEnova has invested more than $4 billion dollars in Mexico in the past 19 years.
IEnova was one of the first private companies to invest in the energy sector in Mexico following the reforms that allowed the participation of the private sector in natural gas pipelines, storage and distribution. Since our arrival in the country in 1996, we have positioned ourselves as a leader in the energy industry.
Our achievements as a pioneering company in private investment in Mexican energy infrastructure include:
- We were the first company to win a bid for natural gas distribution service in Mexico;
- We built the first natural gas pipeline in Baja California and we have been the only company that has developed open-access natural gas pipelines in the state;
- Our natural gas pipelines in Baja California enabled the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) to convert its power generation plants from fuel oil to natural gas;
- We are the main natural gas supplier to the CFE in Baja California;
- We built the first LNG receipt, storage and regasification terminal on the West Coast of the Americas; and
- We are developing Energía Sierra Juárez, the first cross-border renewable energy generation project in Mexico.
We have also formed strategic partnerships. In 2010, we acquired various assets, including a 50% interest in Gasoductos de Chihuahua, a joint venture with Pemex TRI (antes Pemex Gas y Petroquímica Básica) that develops and operates natural and LP gas transportation and storage systems.